5-00 Introduction to Quadratic Relations
- Draw a sketch of distance vs. time when driving at a constant speed.
- Watch this video:
- Draw a sketch of height vs. time for the rocket.
- For each graph, what is the shape? What kind of relationship is it?
- How would the graph of the rocket change if it went faster? slower?
- How would the graph of the rocket change if it started on top of a platform?
- For the most basic linear relationship and the most basic quadratic relationship:
- make a table of values
- plot the points and make a graph
Answer this question, and discuss how you solved it with your teacher:
If a projectile is shot vertically upward from the ground with an initial speed of 100 feet per second (neglecting air resistance) its height, h feet, above the ground t seconds after launch is given by the equation:
After how many seconds will the projectile be 50 ft above the ground? (Give your best estimate)
- When finished, show all your work to your teacher.